6. I just managed to _____ a quick breath before I was sucked under the water by the passing boat.
A. snatch B. scratch
C. scrape D. scan
[答案] A. snatch.
[注释] snatch的原义是“攫取; 抓住; 夺得”。本题中snatch意指“匆忙间设法得到”, 如：He snatched an hour of sleep. (他匆匆睡了一小时觉。) snatch a quick breath (匆忙猛吸了一口气)。
7. My brother likes eating very much but he isn't very _____ about the food he eats.
A. special B. peculiar
C. particular D. unusual
[答案] C. particular.
[注释]be particular about对......讲究, 挑剔; She is very particular about what she wears. (她对她得穿着很讲究。) Mr. Smith was quite particular about my work. (史密斯先生对工作十分挑剔。)
8. I don't think the charge for overhauling (大修)the equipment is excessive in _____ to its size.
[答案] C. proportion.
[注释]in proportion to是固定搭配, 意为“与......成比例, 与.......相称”。反义语：out of proportion不成比例,不相称。本题称。
9. Voices were _____ as the argument between the two motorists became more bad-tempered.
A. swollen B. raised
C. developed D. increased
[答案] B. raised.
10. Having lived in the town for quite a few years, Mr. Johnson no longer felt _____ among the local people.
A. out of order B. out of place
C. out of control D. out of the question
[答案] B. out of place.