26. I used to be able to play well but I'm _____ now.
A. out of date
B. out of touch
C. out of practice
D. out of place
[答案] C. out of practice.
[注释] out of practice荒废, 久不练习; out of date 过时, 老式; out of touch失去联系; out of place详见 III, 70注释。
27. As soon as the children were _____, their mother got them out of bed and into the bathroom.
A. woke B. waken
C. wake D. awake
[答案] D. awake.
[注释]awake adj.醒着的 (作表语) 。Awake, awaken, wake, waken都可以作及物和不及物动词用, 但是awake多用作不及物动词, 其中wake最常用。
28. Jim was so badly burnt that at first they began to _____ of his life.
A. despair B. designate
C. disappoint D. despise
[答案] A. despair.
[注释] despair of (=be in despair) 对.......失望：1) Don't despair: things will get better soon. 2) He began to despair of success. 3) He despaired of being able to repair the TV set. (他对能否修好这台电视机表示失望。) designate指明, 指出, despise 轻视, 藐视。
29. The government's strong action demonstrated its _____ to crush the rebellion.
A. energy B. resistance
C. courage D. determination
[答案] D. determination.
[注释] determination意为“决心”, 后常接动词不定式作定语。
30. New mineral resources may be discovered during the forthcoming Antarctic _____.
A. excursion B. execution
C. extraction D. expedition
[答案] D. expedition.
[注释]expedition 远征, 探险; excursion 短途旅行, 游览; execution 实施, 执行; extraction 提取。