16. The engineers have rejected the employers' proposals to end the strike and the other workers have come out in _____.
A. opposition B. return
C. sympathy D. readiness
[答案] C. sympathy.
[注释] in sympathy 以示同情, come out 此处意为 (=declare oneself) 表明态度, 所以come out in sympathy 意为“表示同情”。In return 作为报答, 如：I wanted nothing in return . (我不要什么报答。) collaboration协作, 如：work in collaboration with sb. (与某人协力合作) 。Opposition 反对, 如：rise in opposition to (起来反对) 。readiness 准备 (状态); 待机, 如：having everything in readiness for departure (做好一切准备, 以便出发)。
17. Her work is often very hard and she gets very tired. The work is _____.
A. wonderful B. splendid
C. tedious D. magnificent
[答案] C. tedious .
[注释] tedious (=tiresome ;wearying; uninteresting) '沉闷的, 厌烦的, 乏味的”。
Splendid 壮丽的, 辉煌的, 极好的。magnificent 壮丽的, 宏伟的：It was a magnificent ceremony. (这是一次盛大隆重的仪式)。
18. With prices _____ so much, it's hard for the company to plan a budget.
A. fluctuating B. waving
C. swinging D. vibrating
[答案] A. fluctuating
[注释]本句前一部分是'with+名词+现在分词短语'的独立结构, 做状语。Fluctuate (=move up and down) (指物价, 标准等的) 波动。如：Prices fluctuate from year to year. (物价年年波动) wave飘扬, 挥舞; 招手; (庄稼的) 波动。Swing摆动, 摇摆; vibrate振动。可见, 根据题意, 只能选A. fluctuating.
19. Some teenagers have a generalized resentment against society, which _____ them the rights and privileges of adults, although physically they are mature.
A. deprives B. restricts
C. rejects D. denies
[答案] D. denies.
[注释]deny (=refuse to give or allow) 拒绝给予:He denied his children nothing . (孩子们要什么他就给什么。) deprive (=take away from) .剥夺。deprive sb. of sth.剥夺某人某物：They deprived women of the right to vote. (他们剥夺了妇女的投票权。) restrict (=keep within limits) The doctor restricted him to 5 cigarettes a day. (医生限制他一天抽5支烟。) reject (refuse to accept ) 拒绝接受, 如：She rejected my suggestion.
本题译文：一些十几岁的孩子们往往对社会有普遍的逆反心理, 虽然他们发育成熟, 但社会拒绝给予他们同成年人一样的权利和优惠。
20. Though _____ in San Francisco, Dave Mitchell had always preferred to record the plain facts of small-town life.
A. raised B. grown
C. developed D. cultivated
[答案] A. raised
[注释]本句中Though raised in San Franciscos是省略的让步状语从句。Raise (=bring up) 抚养：grow种植; cultivate耕作; 培养 (友谊等) 。如cultivate后接某人, 则意为“培养与某人的感情”。如：John always tries to cultivate the people, who are useful to him professionally. (约翰一向喜欢与事业上对他有用的人来往。)