11. He stopped his ears with his hands to _____ the terrible noise.
A. show off B. cut out
C. keep from D. shut out
[答案] D. shut out.
show off炫耀; cut out删掉; keep from; 1) 隐瞒; She kept the truth from me. (她向我隐瞒真相。) 2) 不沾, 避开; He keeps from alcohol. (他滴酒不沾。) 3) 使不做某事：She kept herself from laughing. (她没有笑出来。)
12. My house is the only brick one on the street. It _____ and you can't miss it.
A. stands up B. looks out
C. sticks out D. wipes out
[答案] C. stick out.
13. After the show, the crowd _____ out of the theater.
A. poured B. melted
C. drew D. dismissed
[答案] A. poured.
[注释]pour 此处意为：涌出, 涌来, 如：People poured out to the rally. (人们踊跃参加群众大会。)
14. Although it is not our normal _____ to give credit, this time I think we should consider the matter more closely.
A. state B. intention
C. occasion D. practice
[答案] D. practice.
[注释]practice (=way of doing sth. That is common or habitual; sth. done regularly) 做法, 惯例 ：It is my practice always to rise early. To give credit 让赊欠：No credit is given at this shop. (这家商店概不赊欠。)
15. It gave me a strange feeling of excitement to see my name in _____.
A. news B. print
C. publication D. press
[答案] B. print.
[注释]in print是习语, 意指“印出来, 发表出来”, 如：She finally saw her novel in print. (她终于看到他的小说出版了。) in print 的另一个意思是“在印行, 还在发行”, 如：This book is still in print. (这本书还在发行, 可以买到) 反义词是out of print , 意指“不在印行, 买不到了。”如：The book you speak of is out of print. (你说到的那本书已不在发行了。)